Germany is one of the most popular destinations for international students, offering a high-quality education and a rich cultural experience. If you’re planning to study in Germany, the first step is to obtain a study visa. This visa allows you to live and study in Germany for the duration of your program. In this blog post, we’ll go over everything you need to know about obtaining a study visa for Germany.
Islamabad: Winter Semester Appointments starts from 22nd May 2023
Study Visa FAQs:
Following are the General frequently asked question for getting Study Visa for Germany:
You can view/download full list of universities in Germany.
The list contains
- University Name Degree
- Application deadline
- Tuition and Admission fees
- Cost of Living
- Start of Semester
- Prog. duration
- Course Language
- German language Course Visa.
The Language Visa is effective for educational activities lasting from 3 months to 12 months. The visa is issued to students who wants to pursue German Language for future study in German.
- Student Applicant Visa:
The Student Applicant Visa is effective for student s who wants to study in Germany but still have not been accepted in a Course Program in Germany. The visa can be used to travel to Germany and then to apply for a study program.
3. Student Visa:
The Visa is effective for students who have got acceptance in a study program in Germany and have got a confirmation letter from the university that can be presented to the visa office.
Here is a list of documents that you need to apply for a Study Visa in Germany.
- German Visa Application Form
To apply for a Germany Study Visa you need to fill out the application form available on the embassy website.
- Reference Letters
Reference letters are needed to be submitted to the university during the application process and are then required in original to apply for the German Visa after admission is granted in a German university. Click link to write the important letters within minutes.
- Motivation Letter
You need to write a motivation letter for applying for a Germany Study Visa and here are some points you need to cover in the letter. You can use ChatGPT to write these important documents withing minutes. Check out the examples.
- Admission Letter
In order to get a valid visa for study in Germany you need to have an admission letter from a Germany University. The admission letter can be from a college, University, or a German Language School
5. Attested Transcripts and Degrees
The German embassy requires you to submit attested/ notarized photocopies of your transcripts and degrees
6. Orignal Degree and Transcripts
Original documents (Degree, transcripts, Matriculation and FSc Certificates, and IELTS certificates) are required during the interview process.
7. IELTS Certificate
To apply for a study visa for Germany, IELTS certificate is required for programs that are to be taught in English. You can use ChatGPT for IELTS Exams Preparation.
8. Proof of Financial Means
In order to apply for a Germany Study visa you must have enough money to support yourself during your studies duration. The money you need should be enough to cover your tuition fees and living expenses. It can be a scholarship, a blocked amount to your account in German Bank, or a Sponsorship.
9. Health Insurance for the Travel time
According to German law, everyone needs to have valid health insurance when they enter Germany. After a successful visa process and movement to Germany, you can get German Health insurance but for the travel time and the first few days in Germany, health and travel insurance are required.
Passport-size pictures are required with the application form for Visa application.
11- Valid Passport
valid passport and two passport-sized photographs as part of your visa application.
12. Proof of German Language Proficiency
If your program is taught in German, the students are required to submit a German language certificate (covering the degree program requirements) of proficiency by taking a language test such as the TestDaF or the Goethe Institute's German language exam
- 2.7 CGPA or above
But if you are having CGPA for 3.0 or above, chances of getting admission letter is higher from universities of Germany.
IELTS is mandatory for study programs that are taught in English. The minimum IELTS test scores can be different based on the University Requirements. Most of the universities in Germany require an IELTS score of 6.5 bands to make you eligible for studying in an English-taught Program in Germany. Here is a list of IELTS requirements for ten universities in Germany.
University Name Required IELTS Score
- Technical University of Munich 6.5
- Ludwig Maximilians University Munich 5.5
- University of Heidelberg 6.5
- Humbolt University of Berlin 6.5
- University of Freiburg 6.0
- RWTH Aachen University 6.5
- University of Tüebingen 6.0
- Charite Universitatsmedizin 6.0
- Free University of Berlin 6.5
- University of Bonn 6.0
When applying for a student visa to Germany in 2023, it is better to have some amount in the local bank in Pakistan. Normally around Rs. 5 lakh (.5 million) is enough to be shown to the German Embassy. This amount is not required to be transferred to Germany or to be used but is better to have the amount available in your own account, or the sponsor's account.
When applying for a student visa to Germany in 2023, a deposit of €11,208 or €934 per month for your anticipated stay is necessary (up to 12 months). This amount transfer and its confirmation letters is mandatory to apply for a visa
This sum is based on the BAföG, a German government scholarship program. This minimum amount must be put in the blocked account in order to obtain a financing certificate (Finanzierungsnachweis) and obtain a student visa.
In some cases the local Embassy (especially Islamabad) requires you to transfer this amount for 2 years (2 x 11,208 Euros) as equivalent to 2 years expense.
- Book an appointment
- Complete the required set of documents
- Complete the application form
- Visit the Karachi consulate without an appointment
- India Dehli
- India Bombay
Germany's Universities offers Bachelor, Master and PhD degrees but Bachelor degrees are all in German.
For all the bachelor degree courses students are required to have German language fluency of at least A2 (Goethe Certificate) but its better to increase the level for better Visa chances (B1-B2).
German is the most spoken language in Germany and most study programs are in German. But in most universities there is at least 1 Master Degree course that is taught in English. For the English taught courses, IELTS is mandatory and German is not mandatory.
You have to arrange 2 sets the below listed documents in the mentioned order:
1. Application form
- Signed by the applicant
- Filled out by typewriter/computer
- Biometric Photographs
- Picture should not be older than three months and white background
- Computer print-outs are not accepted
- Stapled to the application form at the designated spot
- Admission Letter:
- Letter of admission to a German University/acceptance to pathway program and proof about the working language/language requirements
- Financial Means
- Proof of sufficient financial means by way of one of the options
- Proof of blocked account or scholarship award or official obligation from immigration office in Germany
- Your curriculum vita
- Updated Resume
- Letter of motivation
- A motivation letter covering the following topics
- Why study in Germany
- Why study in the specific university and city
- Why the specific degree program
- Related experience to the degree program (if any)
- A motivation letter covering the following topics
- Educational Certificates
- Attested Degree and Transcripts
- Intermediate certificates
- Matriculation Certificates
- Employment letters#
- Proof of your language skills
Language proficiency certificates according to the standards of the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE):
- “Zertifikat Deutsch” at least A2 level certificate for German taught courses or better [by Goethe-Institut (GI)]
- If your field of studies is going to be lectured in English, tests such as TOEFL (minimum score of 550 points for the paper-based test or 213 points for the computer-based test) or IELTS (Band 6.0) are required.
You can prepare for IELTS Exam Preparation through ChatGPT in minutes.
- Proof of Income:
Income proof and bank statements of last 6 months of yourself or of your sponsor in Pakistan (only for Embassy Islamabad)
Provide a copy of the Sponsor's ID card. If the sponsor is a sibling, please also provide their ID card and your FRC to prove your relation to the sponsor.
- Valid Passport:
Valid Passport copies page 1 and 2
- Proof of adequate health insurance
Health insurance is mandatory for travelling to Germany for study or job or any other purposeYou will have to take out health insurance in Germany. However, for the time period until you are settled in Germany, you have to submit a preliminary health insurance with your application.
For the possibilities to take out health insurance please see the following link:
- Information about any previous visa refusals
If you have been refused a visa by an Embassy or High Commission, written explanation about reason for application and refusal letter are required.
- Appointment confirmation e-mail (only for Embassy Islamabad)
The German student visa costs only 75,- EUR (Amount equivaled to 75 dollars is to be paid in local currency)
Visa to Germany normally take around 6–12 weeks to be processed after appointment is booked and the process is started. Normally appointment takes time to be booked because of the number of applicants. It taks 6- 12 weeks from the time of an interview with the German consulate. Students should start the process 5-6 months before the start of study program.
Students can search for study programs directly from Univeristy websites if the universities are already selected.
In case you are new and have not enough information about universities and degree programs in Germany, the following website can be used as search engine.
Monday - Thursday from 14:00 - 16:00 hrs.
Here you can find complete details related to block account.
Using Fintiba Plus/Corracle Prime:
1. You must have an active bank account of any bank.
2. Then after creating a fintiba account.
3. Get your Fintiba account IBAN, Swift code and bank detail.
4. For Meezan bank & UBL Bank (Prefer this because of good currency rate).
4.1. If you have bank account in (UBL, Meezan bank) then go to you bank and simply ask them
to make a FTT to your blocked account detail.
4.2. They will ask for some proof documents.
4.3. Gather all the proof documents as required and submit them. (Depends what they need.)
4.4. Submit the amount with proof and let it go.
5. For Currency Exchange ( Try to avoid this if you can. Follow the step 4)
5.1. Go to any currency exchange I prefer National Bank Exchange because it is under Govt of
5.2. Ask them that you want to transfer your amount to you blocked account for study purpose.
5.3. Give the detail of IBAN and SWIFT of that account which is provided by Fintiba.
5.4. Now after that they will guide you how to transfer the money from.
Your Bank => National Bank Exchange => Fintiba Account.
By the exchange rates are high as compared to Bank rate.
5.5. Now transfer the amount and you are done.
6. Now wait for the confirmation and regularly check for the amount that you transferred to your
7. Fintiba will ask for proof after getting the amount into the account.
8. Provide the valid proof after demanding by fintiba.
9. After Verification, you account is ready to GO. END
Try to open account using coracle prime because their service is good. Fintiba is secured as
compared to Coracle. Its on you which account you are going to use. Good Luck with that.
Following are the FAQs specific for German Embassy Islamabad:
Winter Semester Appointments starts from 22nd May 2023
Embassy time to time change the option to book the appointment for running semesters and only allows students to book an appointment for coming semesters.
Here are the details:
Monday - Thursday from 14:00 - 16:00 hrs.
I hope this blog post helps you in your journey to obtaining a study visa for Germany. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask!